Here are our top tips for feeding birds to give them a helping hand this winter. This may be a mild winter for some of us, but it’s tough out there for our feathered friends. The ground is too hard to dig for worms, fresh berries are scarce and icy days make it difficult for birds to get water.
- Put out fresh water for birds to drink. Popping a twig in the container will stop the water from freezing.
- Leave yummy fatballs, delicious dried fruit, mild cheese and unsalted nuts for birds to eat. These treats will give them the nutrients they need.
- Make sure the bird feeder is lovely and clean. The birds could catch nasty bugs otherwise, and no-one likes eating from a grubby plate!
- Consider putting up a bird box so they have somewhere cosy to snuggle.
- Never give them old, stale bread to eat. They need something a bit more nutritious, like fatballs.
- Try not to let food spill on to the ground near the bird table or you may get unwanted pests.
- Never put out food in nylon mesh bags. These can cause serious injuries. Use steel mesh feeders instead.
You can get lots more advice here at the RSPB.